These are some of the nutritional non-truths that might be hurting people.
- Fiction – Skipping meals helps you lose weight, and does it faster.
- Fact – When you skip a meal, your body slows down your metabolism in order to conserve energy. Also, you are more likely to eat more at your next meal, which your body uses more slowly, causing weight gain.
- Fiction – Processed food is not healthy at all
- Fact – In some cases, canning, freezing, drying of fruits and vegetables actually enhances the nutritional value. For example, the beta-carotene in processed carrots is more easily absorbed by the body.
- Fiction – All fats are bad for you
- Fact -Essential fatty acids are needed by our cells and organs. Dietary fats are used to carry fat-soluble vitamins such as E, D, K, and X, and other nutrients.
- Fiction -Eating any carbohydrates causes weight gain
- Fact – The body uses carbohydrates to produce energy, if you cut them completely from your diet, the body will have no nutritional fuel with which to burn the calories you consume from other sources. Not having enough carbohydrates in your diet will cause weight gain, and fatigue.