Low-carb diets have been all the rage for awile, but now high-protein diets are bursting onto the scene as the latest buzz in weight control. The latest research has indicated that the protein diet may be able to satisfy hunger better than either fats or carbohydrates.
Study participants in a recent trial reported greater satisfaction, less hunger, and weight loss when fat was reduced to 20% of the total calories in their diets, protein was increased to 30%, and carbs were about 50%.
People involved in the study ate approximately 441 fewer calories a day on the diet. A protien diet that is lower in carbs, along with lifestyle changes including regular exercise have the potential to reduce fat cells and keep lean tissue while burning excess fat for energy. This is all done with the added advantage of less hunger.
No one is really sure exactly how the protein diet works to reduce appetite. The general consensis is that it may be because a high-protein diet causes the brain to get lower levels of hunger hormones.
Reserachers agree that there is more evidence needed before it can be said that the protein diet will continue to work over the long term. Before beginning any diet, cosult a professional.